t
S
m
s
lindsaym lindsaym
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, lindsaym
The M and N factors are glycoproteins that are found on the surface of red blood cells. Unlike other types of red blood cell antigens, The M and N factors do not cause antibody reactions in human blood transfusions. People with type M blood are homozygous for the M allele, and people with type N blood are homozygous for the N allele. Heterozygous individuals have type MN blood. In a study of population of Inuit living in the Northwest Territories, 512 people have blood type M, 256 had blood type MN, AND 32 has blood type N.

Now as for my questions...

A) Calculate the frequency of each allele, M and N , in the population studied.

B) WHat would be the expected frequency of each genotype in the next generation, assuming that this population is in genetic equilibrium for the trait.

C) In a second study group, the frequencies of the genotypes were 0.306 MM, 0.491 MN, AND 0.203 NN. Could this second study group have, in fact, come from the previously described Inuit population? Explain your answer...

for a) i did this
MM=p^2
NN=q^2
MN= 2pq

q^2=32/800=0.04
q^2= 0.2

p^2=512/800=0.64
p sqrt = 0.8

2pq=256/800 = 0.32

to check=
p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
0.04 + 0.64 + 0.32 = 1

So the frequency of the M allele is 0.64 or 64% the frequency of the N allele is 0.04m or 4% and the frequency of the MN allele is 0.32 or 32%..

not sure if im on the right track. and i have no idea how to do b) or c)

Post Merge: 11 years ago
just realized i was doing question wrong

a is looking for the frequency for the m allele and n allele

M allele is 512(2) because each person has 2 M alleles, then + 256, for each person with 1 M allele
so M = 1280
1280/1600=0.8
N allele = 32(2)+256=320
320/1600=0.2

so would the allele frequencies be M=0.8 and N=0.2?

Post Merge: 11 years ago
b.)2pq=256/800 = 0.32
or
=2(0.8)(0.2)=0.32

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
0.64 + 0.32 + 0.04 = 1

So the frequency for the genotypes in the next generation would be MM=0.64 or 64%, NN=0.04m or 4%, and MN=0.32 or 32%...

just stuck on c now. Frowning Face
Read 14311 times
23 Replies