a
t
i
r
r
rcanzius rcanzius
wrote...
13 years ago
We did a lab in AP Bio and we placed germinated peas, dry peas with glass beads, and glass beads in seperate respirometers and recorded all the data and the good stuff but now i need help with these
1-Explain what the purpose of the glass bead respirometer?

2-Explain why the water was drawn into the pipette on each respirometer during the experiment
-germinated pea respirometer
-dry pea & glass bead repirometer
-glass bead respirometer
4- after a few more days of germination, the peas would have started to sprout leaves and begin doing photosynthesis. if we used those sprouting seeds, how would it affect the experiment?
Read 2449 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Hey rcanzius, welcome to the forum.

1) Glass beads are non-oxygen consuming material. They are used as a control to make the air volume equal to the respirometer with germinating peas. Similarly, glass beads are used to account for any volume difference between the germinating and non-germinating peas. Therefore, they will permit detection of any changes in volume due to atmospheric pressure changes or temperature changes.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
4) Photosynthesis increases the amount of molecular oxygen in the test tubes. This would optimize cellular respiration, and thereby increases the rate of carbon dioxide production due to the increased consumption of oxygen by the peas.

It is not possible to directly measure pressure changes due to oxygen, since the pressure sensor measures the total pressure change. Carbon dioxide is produced as oxygen is consumed. The pressure due to CO2 might cancel out any change due to the consumption of oxygen.

For me to answer #2, I would need more information on the protocol that you used!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1313 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370