t
S
m
s
lisa142 lisa142
wrote...
11 years ago
Hey dudes,

I got accepted into UMHS (http://www.umhs-sk.org) and I was wondering if this school is legit.

It seems all they care about is my money, and I don't mind giving them my $100,000 away as long as they are a legit medical school.

What are the PROS and CONS of this Caribbean medical school?

(Examples)

CONS:  They don't have stafford loans or sallie mae that allows the student to borrow all the money needed to go into medical school.

Classes are huge in U.S. medical schools.  Professors don't get the time to know you very well..

PROS:  I got accepted!  I can start right away!  (January, May, or September 2013) or when ever I feel like and I get to become a doctor right away!

Classes are small.  Professors have more time to spend teaching you USMLE step 1 materials.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks dudes!
Read 2815 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I looked it up on Wikipedia (keep in mind that's not a 100% legit source so I would double-check), and this is alarming:

Accreditation

The Government of St. Kitts and Nevis has granted the University of Medicine and Health Sciences of St. Kitts the authority to confer on graduates who have successfully completed the University?s prescribed course of matriculation, the degree of Doctor of Medicine. The charter granting the right to confer these degrees was signed on August 24, 2007.[1]

UMHS is listed in the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) International Medical Education Directory (IMED) [2]

United States
        California: The Medical Board of California does not yet list University of Medicine And Health Sciences as a recognized medical school, and states that "the education and training received at an unrecognized school is not acceptable for licensure in California." UMHS has not been either recognized or explicitly "not recognized" by California as it has not yet applied for such recognition. It is likely that UMHS will seek formal recognition in California at some point in the future.[3]
        Indiana: Uses California's recognized list, making UMHS graduates currently ineligible for licensure.[4]
        Kansas: State regulations require "a graduate of a school which has been in operation for not less than 15 years and the graduates of which have been licensed in another state or states which has standards similar to Kansas." [5]
        North Dakota: Uses the California Medical Board list of disallowed schools, and states "Graduates of these medical schools should not presume eligibility for either resident or permanent licensure in North Dakota." Since UMHS is not on the disallowed list, its graduates may be eligible for licensure in that state.[6]

You can't actually use it to become a doctor in at least California, Indiana, Kansas or North Dakota. It doesn't list other states but so far it doesn't look good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Medicine_and_Health_Sciences
wrote...
11 years ago
The ACGME considers UMHS to be a Foreign Medical School. This means that you would apply for a Residency, and later a license, as a Foreign Medical Graduate. Foreign Medical Grads have to be certified by the ECFMG before they can apply for a US Residency. This process costs thousands of dollars.

The Accreditation of UMHS is NOT considered to be LCME equivalent, which limits your licensing options. This is probably partly due to the fact that many of the faculty members have never been licensed to practice Medicine in the US (this doesn't preclude them from being capable teachers of the scientific subject matter, but it does mean that their clinical knowledge is based on a system that's not congruent with the US system).

UMHS is a for-profit school, and is not accountable to any governing body other than the government of St. Kitts. If you have any complaints, or if you are the victim of unethical practices while you are there, you have no recourse. Once they have your money, they can do whatever they want.
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm attending UMHS. Its good school however like every Caribbean Medical school it has it pros and cons especially the money situation. I am currently sitting out due this problem however the experience overall I have to say is good. There are some great prof and not so great. In reference to practicing, if you are planning to practice in California or other states listed than DO NOT COME because its not getting licensed anytime soon. AUA (another Caribbean medical school) got certification from California just last year after years of applying so getting California approval is attainable; but it will take time.
This past residency match one student matched John Hopkins. All in all its the work YOU put in.

Good Luck!!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  933 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249