t
i
r
r
smeredith1102 smeredith1102
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I started working on my Pre-Calculus Honors packet recently and the packet contained 8 questions on completing the square. I understand how to do it but in my Algebra II/Trigonometry Honors course last year we have never done difficult examples involved with this. These questions contain radicals, exponents to the fourth and second power, there are four terms in one of these questions, and one questions contains a term to the third power and a constant. If I could please receive a few links to this I'll appreciate it very much, thank you
Read 547 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I don't have any links but I still think I can help you understand. Here's an example.

So say you have a function, ax^4 + bx^2 + c = 0; you can approach this the same way a typical quadratic.

ax^4 + bx^2 + c = 0
x^4 + (b/a)x^2 = -c/a Leftwards Arrow-i subtracted "c" from both sides and divided both sides by "a"
x^4 + (b/a)x^2 + (b/2a)^2 = -c/a + (b/2a)^2
(x^2 + b/2a)^2 = -c/a + (b/2a)^2
x^2 + b/2a = (+/-)[ (-4ac)/(4a^2) + (b^2)/(4a^2) ]^0.5
x^2 + b/2a = (+/-)[ [ b^2 - 4ac ]^0.5 ]/2a
x^2 = [ -b (+/-) [ b^2 - 4ac ]^0.5 ]/2a Leftwards Arrow--as you can see, this looks similar to the quadratic formula EXCEPT everything is equal to x^2. So to find x you would simply take the square root of the quadratic formula:

x = (+/-)[ [ -b (+/-) [ b^2 - 4ac ]^0.5 ]/2a ]^0.5 Leftwards Arrow--obviously the only values that would work are the positive ones.

For ODD exponential polynomials, you cannot complete the square at FIRST because the technique only works for quadratic polynomials. So you have to approach odd exponential polynomials in a different manner. I prefer doing the "rational root" test and applying synthetic division. For example:

x^3 + 2x^2 - x - 2 = 0

Like I said, completing the square isn't going to work out too well, AT FIRST, so you do the "rational root" test to see if you can get it in a form that allows you to complete the square.
I'll test x = 1 to see if it works:

x = 1: 1    2    -1    -2
                1     3     2
          1    3     2     0 Leftwards Arrow--remainder is zero, so x = 1 is a root, so you write that down

So now you can rewrite the polynomial as:

x^3 + 2x^2 - x - 2 = 0
(x - 1)(x^2 + 3x + 2) = 0

NOW, you can now complete the square for the second term in the paranthesis since you factored out x = 1:

x^2 + 3x + 2 = 0
x^2 + 3x + 9/4 = -2 + 9/4
(x + 3/2)^2 = 1/4
x + 3/2 = (+/-)[1/4]^0.5
x = -(1/2) + 3/2; x = (1/2) + 3/2
x = 1; x = 2 Leftwards Arrow---these are the roots

So, x^3 + 2x^2 - x - 2 = 0 can is now factored and can rewritten as

(x - 1)(x + 1)(x - 2)

Hope that helped you out.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1362 People Browsing
 132 Signed Up Today
Related Images