a
t
i
r
r
julie julie
wrote...
11 years ago
I have been researching about multiple sclerosis and i was just wondering what the normal and faulty pathways and mechanisms are for the disease.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
10 points for best answer!!!
Read 427 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Multiple sclerosis. That's a type of neurodegenerative disease. Basically, the neurons can't make the myelin sheath anymore, and what sheaths there are on the neurons degrade and can't be rebuilt. So, if you've learned about action potential propagation (and maybe you've heard of saltatory conduction), then you'll know that propagation of the signal cannot happen without the myelin sheath.

The norm is to make myelin sheaths and neurons work like they should.

Try googling "multiple sclerosis" (obviously), and look for the mayo clinic result--that's a really good place to look.
Wikipedia is also a really good source for science stuff. I haven't found stuff that's wrong yet, honestly.
When you look at MS stuff, pay attention to "demyelination,""loss of muscle control,""paralysis." All are characteristic of the disease.
And look up saltatory conduction--basically, that's the process where the action potential "jumps" from node to node down the neuron during action potential propagation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1146 People Browsing
 127 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431