t
S
m
s
isabelle0604 isabelle0604
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am learning about photosynthesis and I think this question is about the calvin cycle.
But I really really don't get it.. It seems like I don't understand the question and other answers. Can someone explain this to me easily?

What is the advantage of a cycle that can replenish itself?
Read 1266 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Under normal conditions, it has to replenish its ribulose biphosphate so it can carry on fixing more carbon dioxide. If this didn't occur, the latter process wouldn't occur.
````````````````````
wrote...
11 years ago
In the dark reactions, the two molecules of phosphoglyceric acid each gain another phosphate (breaking down two more molecules of ATP into ADP) becoming biphosphoglyceric acid. NADPH and the hydrogen ions made in the light reactions are used to split a phosphate off of each (putting phosphates back to make more ATP) and to provide the energy and hydrogen to turn the remaining chemical into glyceraldehyde phospate, also called phosphoglyceraldehyde, or PGAL. (The NADPH and H+ combine with the phosphoglyceric acid to make PGAL, leaving behind NADP+ which will go back to the light reactions to be transformed again.) PGAL is the raw material for anything a plant needs. PGAL can be used to make sugar and to replenish the ribulose phosphate stores, so that this reaction can happen again.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1093 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308