a
t
i
r
r
mom25grls mom25grls
wrote...
13 years ago
Can someone explain the 4 divisions of cell in layman's terms my text is horrible! 

Prophase
Metaphase
Anaphase
Telophase

they are not going into the sections of prophase at all, I'm confused from what my book says and the workbook states something differently. 

Thanks!
Read 1086 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
I will try to dummy it down for you.

Prophase is a stage of mitosis in which the chromatin (the DNA; recall that are 46 individual pieces of DNA in a human cell: 23 from mom and 23 from dad) condenses (becomes more dense) into a highly ordered structure called a chromosome in which the chromatin becomes visible. So basically before this phase, the chromatin (the DNA) is so thin that you can't see it in a light microscope! Since the genetic material has been duplicated in an previous phase of the cell cycle, there are two identical copies of each chromosome in the cell (so 46 x 2 = 92 copies of the DNA or similarly (23 x 2) + (23 x 2) = 92). Identical chromosomes, called sister chromatids, are attached to each other at the centromere.

\/
/\
  so basically during prophase, you will have 92 of these guys in a human cell by the end of this phase. Each cross you see represents a single chromosome.

Metaphase, the next stage, is a stage of mitosis in which these condensed chromosomes align in the middle of the cell before being separated into each of the two daughter cells. There has to be similarity so that each new cell produced has an exact copy... 46 each.

Anaphase, the next stage, is the stage of mitosis when chromosomes separate. Each chromatid moves to opposite poles of the cell.

\/           BECOMES        \       <==                /
/\
                              /                ==>    \
/\
/\

Lastly, during telophase, the two daughter nuclei (nucleus') form in the daughter cells. The nuclear envelopes of the daughter cells are formed from the fragments of the nuclear envelope of the parent cell.

After you've reviewed this, watch this animation:

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/olcweb/cgi/pluginpop.cgi?it=swf::535::535::/sites/dl/free/0072437316/120073/bio14.swf::Mitosis%20and%20Cytokinesis

Reply back if you need further assistance.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  908 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?