t
S
m
s
ashxo ashxo
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
What can you do with a bachelors degree in chemistry? I know that more opportunities open up with higher degrees, but right now I'm only interested in jobs that you can do with a bachelors degree. I would like to know some specific job examples, since everything on Google says something along the lines of "work in a lab under the supervision of someone with a PhD."

What are some examples of careers you can get with this degree?
Read 376 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
i got one of those degrees,and though i can't offer you any advice career wise besides the obvious career opportunities,but what i found was when you work in a non chemical environment and your work folks find out what degree you did they are highly intimidated by it,as alls they can remember was how difficult chemistry was in school,so meeting someone who found it easier is like saying too them 'hey i'm way cleverer than you monkey person'
wrote...
11 years ago
provided ur the topper in ur college u get u work as a supervisor manager in many chemical companies......otherwise u'll be working in a lab under someone.......
wrote...
11 years ago
I have a BS in chemistry so I can give you some insight. You're certainly correct that a higher degree will open more doors; but that is generally true of any field.

With a BS in chemistry, if you get the proper certifications you can teach high school, work in a medical lab as a medical lab technician, or you can work as a lab technician in industry. Also, I have a couple of friends who both have a BS in chemistry and they both work as forensic scientists (one of them is a forensic toxicologist and I forgot what exactly the other one specializes in).

If you're wanting to work in a research lab and publish papers in science journals, etc then you'll need to pursue a higher chem degree, though.

Also, depending on the company, you might even be able to fill in the role of an engineer. At my company, I know a couple of people who have a BS in chemistry who have been able to get into a production engineer position, which typically prefers a chemical engineering degree.
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm presently a B.Sc. (H) 3rd year  Chemistry student. The various career options are:
1) M. Sc.
2) MBA

The only possibility of getting a paid job right after your B.Sc is if you have college placements.
wrote...
11 years ago
There are many jobs available.

Teaching is a good option, but you would need to get a teaching certificate. Forensic science is another field you could go into, but that job market is so crowded that it is tough to get a job as a forensic scientist without further training.
A lot of entry level jobs involve doing sample testing such as environmental or biological samples.

A lot of companies that are hiring in the field of chemistry want experience, but once you get that you can do almost anything. Many jobs that are hiring PhD chemists would take a B.S. in chemistry with many years experience.

However, it is tough to get that experience sometimes. This is why I would recommend going for an advanced degree. In many cases companies will accept an advanced degree in lieu of experience.

And a lot of schools will actually pay for you to get a PhD. All they ask is that you teach general chemistry laboratories.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1031 People Browsing
Related Images