j
s
d
J
smileetons smileetons
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
If one were to get a degree in physics, which fields in science would be open to them and what jobs could they possibly have?
Read 245 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Professor, engineer, researcher

Most fields would be open to them. Much of the math from one concentration will apply to other concentrations. The rest is just unit conversion and jargon.

If you're looking to do research or engineering, physics is an excellent degree to have. A minor in computer science or technical writing would be helpful.
wrote...
12 years ago
I was a physics major in school and went on to obtain a PhD in the subject.  I now teach astronomy as well as research cosmology.  For graduates with lesser degrees, jobs are rather more restricted to technician level jobs, such as laboratory assistant or possibly curator of a planetarium etc.  You really should aim as high as possible despite the extra time taken (about 8 to 12 years on average in total) to PhD.  Not only are jobs more available, but the rewards both financial and in terms of satisfaction are greater.  However, even a tenured professorship rarely pays as much as say, private industry, so do not enter it for the money!  While it is adequate, considering the original study period, you will never become a millionaire unless you go on to write a popular science book like A Brief History of Time, and few have that ability!  Having said that,  I wouldn't change my job for a million dollars a year!  It affords me a comfortable enough living plus the satisfaction of seeing bright students graduate as well as giving me the opportunity to carry out research in a subject that fascinates me.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1287 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 488