r
d
l
a
FISH0818 FISH0818
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I am confused I want to but I hear its hard and I don't want to mess up my GPA (4.0) im in biology honors now, doing ok have an A+. But i don't i have a lot of background in chemistry never took chemistry 1. Should I take it , also do they expect you to know all the basics of chemistry. I do very well in math as of now im in geometry, have an A+ as well. Thanks for the help!
Read 510 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
you should know at least algebra 2 for AP Chem
also, you should get the regular chem too (preferably honors)

the basics really help, and you will probably get a C or D if u dont do regular or honors chem first.
wrote...
11 years ago
Every school and teacher is different, but generally, they will review the basics. The basics will be delved into deeper in this class, but not omitted. You can do it, but if you have time I would recommend doing a bit of prep work to make it easier on you. Before you take the class, spend some time reviewing chemistry materials. This site offers a good general overview.

http://www.chem1.com/chemed/genchem.shtml

Also MIT has online courses with lectures that might help.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-111-principles-of-chemical-science-fall-2008/

And there are tons of videos on youtube from chemistry professors.

You can do it! It will really help you in college to have already taken AP chemistry.
wrote...
11 years ago
Well here's my experience. I'm a junior taking AP Chem now. I took honors chem last year and never studied at all and got a 97 as my lowest grade. My final yearly grade was a 98 and I did not study at all. I don't study for any classes except for AP Chemistry and I still only have a 93 in there.... It is easily the hardest class I've ever taken by far but it's definitely doable. I'm currently in AP Physics AP Calc, AP English, AP Spanish, and AP World History. I don't have to study for any of those and I'm high 90s in all. I study about an hour a night for AP Chem and still only have a 93. Some kids in AP Chem dropped out because of the difficulty and the class average is mid 80s. My advice to you is take chemistry 1 sophmore year and then take AP Chem junior year. With your grades you should stay in the low-mid 90's and maybe even high 90s. It is a very difficult class, but you should be fine. Good luck Slight Smile.   Oh and btw, AP Physics is easy but if you take AP Physics B which is what I'm taking next year I hear that that's even worse than AP Chem.
wrote...
11 years ago
like the person above said.

you really should have taken algebra 2 before considering taking AP chem. (there is a lot of math, much of it is pretty easy, but it can become a real hassle).

I would also say no even if you had Algebra 2, the class is meant to be taken after, in your case, chemistry 1. You will start at a disadvantage, and people will be doing stuff that you don't know how to do.

Even simply unit conversion, from mols to mollar mass, is expected, and even though its a very simple thing to do, your teacher might not teach it as review, and if you don't get a good start you will find yourself way over your head.

My advice, no. But if your going to do it anyways, I suggest that over summer you study some basics in chemistry.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1137 People Browsing
 149 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 328