t
i
r
r
oblivionks oblivionks
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
The following diagram represents the collection of elements formed by decomposition reaction. (a.) If the blue spheres represent N atoms and the red ones represent O atoms, what was the empirical formula of the original compound? (b.) Could you draw a diagram representing the molecules of the compound that has been decomposed? Why or why not?

The diagram shows 12 red spheres in sets of two and 6 blue spheres also in sets of 2.

I don't know how to do any of this please help me!!!
Read 1194 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
As the products of the decomposition - so, no additional fuel needed - are nitrogen and oxygen in a 2:1 ratio, the empirical formula will obviously contain the same ration of the same elements - that is, N2O would be the empirical formula. From this decomposition data lone, you're not really able to draw a molecular formula, as the real molecule could contain integer multiples of the atoms given by the empirical formula (N2O, N4O2 etc...)
wrote...
11 years ago
Very simple.  six nitrogens and twelve oxygens give you N6O12.  The empirical formula is the lowest whole number ratio of these two elements, which is 1:2 or NO2 (nitrogen dioxide).  You don't have enough information to determine what molecules were used to produce this gas, but it is usually prepared by dissolution of a metal such as copper or silver in nitric acid and is evolved a orange-brown colored gas: Cu + 4 HNO3 ----------->  Cu(NO3)2 + 2 NO2  + 2 H2O.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1380 People Browsing
 130 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?