S
m
s
ilikebigbutts ilikebigbutts
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi guys?
I want to ask about optimization problems. sometimes he says minimize it and sometimes he says maximize it ??
if he said minimize it, how should we solve?
and if he said maximize it, how should we solve??
because when I see the solutions for both it's the procedure whether its maximizing or minimizing?
Am I correct???
Read 633 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
RJW
wrote...
11 years ago
Remember, you are essentially solving a critical point problem because you are taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero. When you solved those problems, you used either the first or second derivative test to classify those points as a maxima, minima, or neither. That is how you prove that the value you have found actually maximizes or minimizes the function you're dealing with.
wrote...
11 years ago
Maximizing and minimizing does have the same procedure because the derivative of a max or min will be zero.  The difference between the two is what the coefficient of the largest power comes out to be.  If it is negative you'll have a min, if its positive it'll be a max.  Other than that the problems with look identical most of the time.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Upwards Arrow that's right, once you find the zeros by whatever method you use, you plug those back into the original equation to see which produces the smallest or largest amount
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  825 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156