l
J
c
h
zzz zzz
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
My daughter just declared herself a sociology major.  Without a Ph. D. what kind of job can she get with a sociology degree?  Is it marketable in your opinion?
Read 684 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Not particularly it's a bit of a cop out. She could be a sociology teacher!
It's a very vague degree, she could probably find her way into social work, prison service, care, things like that.
Good Luck
wrote...
12 years ago
There is always work for social workers, so in that sense it is "marketable", though the correct word would be usable. If the question is whether or not it's lucrative the answer is simply no.

The average pay for a sociology degree (BS) seems to be around $30,000 - $40,000. Her options (which would apply her sociology degree) are social work, human resources, administrator or employee of a non-profit foundation, and teaching.

My mother has a sociology degree and she was a career mom - so there's always that.
wrote...
12 years ago
I have my degree in sociology.  It is certainly not a cop out!  Also, don't confuse social work with sociology- they are two different degrees and different studies.  Yes, all social sciences have a lot of the same curriculum (anthro, psych, social work, sociology, crimin, etc).  I went into sociology because the subject is very interesting- it is the study of humans in society whereas psychology is the study of the individual human.  It's an intriguing study and I encourage her to pursue it if she's interested.  A lot of people who go to law school will get a sociology degree in addition to their law degree.  Yes, it is a more vague degree because it can almost go with any kind of degree or it can be helpful in any workplace.  A lot of companies LOVE it when you have a sociology degree because of the sociality experience you have gained.  You can virtually get a job anywhere as long as it isn't specialized (like  being a doctor, of course).  If she goes on to get her Master's (it's usually only a year to two years longer), than she can be a counselor or a therapist of many kinds.  
wrote...
12 years ago
There are two kinds of degrees: Technical and liberal arts.

Technical or vocation degrees prepares students to work in fields such as business, journalism, engineering, computer science, and marketing.

Liberal arts are degrees that do not prepare students for any type of field rather give them a broad education in ANY field.  They are attractive to employers grad with liberal arts degrees can think critically and make him/her a more rounded person.  For example, an english degree is attractive because employers are looking to hire people with good writing skills.  Sociology on the other hand are too because they help employers deal with how people think and act in the business world or wherever.  Liberal arts degrees include english, music, biology, physics, philosophy, english, psychology, sociology, etc.  They're usually called "the useless majors" when they are not.

See the difference? English is a liberal arts major while journalism is not.
wrote...
A year ago
thank you
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  587 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 368