So I am given 6 sites in regards to covid, they are

1.   ORF3a/57
2.   ORF 3a/251
3.   N/203
4.   Nsp3/477
5.   Nsp2/85
6.   Nsp3/292

I am given a graph with each site.

For each site, 1) choose what type of evolution is happening using this list: adaptive substitutions, neutral substitutions, balanced polymorphisms, nonsynonymous and synonymous substitutions , purifying selection, and conservative and radical amino acid replacements 2) why you made your choice 3) Additional evidence you would need to do in order to confirm if you were right or wrong?

For example site 1, here is the graph/frequency of it

and

From the list given above I would sy its polymorphic cos of the different frequencies thoughts? But I'm not sure how to answer "Additional evidence you would need to do in order to confirm if you were right or wrong?" thoughts?!

Anyways I attafched graphs/frequencies of the other 5 sites, if some pure soul want to help me out choose what evolution is happening on each site, why, and what method to do to check if right or wrong go ahead if not, then possibly if you see an obvious evolution taking place please let me know and I guess I ccan worry about what method to do haha
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 108 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
This one is confusing. Do you know what each of these terms meaning? For instance, I looked up balanced polymorphism, and I found this:

[img]https://slideplayer.com/slide/12536326/75/images/55/Balanced+Polymorphism.jpg[img]

All we need now is to know how this would appear on a graph...
Mateyman Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, Mateyman
Yeah trying to figure out on a graph is the tough part, I can kind of better answer the portion about what I would do to test my theory but I just need help in knowing what evolution is taking place. After reading into it some more I think adaptive substitutions, neutral substitutions, balanced polymorphisms, and purifying selection are the main ones to use.

I already solved the first 2 sites kinda feel good about them but need help on the other 4.

In site 1 we see polymorphism I think that's kinda obv:

In site 2 I think its purifying selection cos we don't see polymorphism and we know that purifying selection kind of removes deleterious mutations:

I think now that I know what polymorphism looks like and what purifying selection looks like I just gotta choose between neutral or adaptive selection.

Site 3 doesn't it kind of look like convergent evolution which is also know as adaptive evolution?

Site 4 I think kind of similar to site 2, we see purifying selection here as well?

Site 5 I think this one is kind similar to site 1 and also general polymorphic?

Site 6 I think also purifying selection?

https://i.imgur.com/fR0zPPA.png

Please feel no pressure to answer, just wanted to pick your brain from your expertise if you read or seen anything like that.

I don't know it looks like they are either polymorphic or all the same, with one example of adaptive evolution, but I didn't even use neutral selection so I'm prob wrong on all haha

For sure I'm unsure on site 3.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1177 People Browsing
 109 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145