t
i
r
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
What is the nature and some properties of probes used in DNA fingerprinting?
Read 352 times
5 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I believe their are single-locus and multi-locus probes.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
I don't even know what these mean..
I was thinking along the lines of short, specific, complementary, single stranded DNA sequence, labelled... What do you think?
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I got my idea from this website: http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/dna_forensics_2/04t.html

A single locus probe is a DNA or RNA sequence that is able to hybridize (i.e. form a DNA-DNA or DNA-RNA duplex) with DNA from a specific restriction fragment on the Southern blot. Duplex formation depends on complementary base pairing between the DNA on the Southern blot and the probe sequence. Single locus probes are usually tagged with a radioactive label for easy detection, and are chosen to detect one polymorphic genetic locus on a single human chromosome. The Southern blot from step 4 is incubated in a solution containing a radioactive, single locus probe under conditions of temperature and salt concentration that favor hybridization. After hybridization, the unbound probe is washed away, so that the only radioactivity remaining bound to the nylon membrane is associated with the DNA of the targeted locus.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
The idea is similar but the wording is fancy  lol
I think single locus probes means specific to a sequence and not binding everywhere which is the point of DNA fingerprinting
Thank you very much Upwards Arrow
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I think single locus probes means specific to a sequence and not binding everywhere which is the point of DNA fingerprinting

Maybe that's the multi-probe locus version of it? ... You're welcome
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1201 People Browsing
Related Images