t
S
m
s
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
Hi,
A short chain of DNA has the nucleotide sequence ATA CCG.  What is its complimentary mRNA nucleotide sequence?

How do I find the answer to the above question?  Could someone please explain to me what base pairing rules should be applied?  

Thank you in advance for your assistance, I really appreciate it!
Read 490 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
my guess would be UAU GGC.
I've only learned that from DNA to mRNA, you have to switch G with C and vice versa, and A with U (U replaces T, don't really know why) and vice versa (T with A)
wrote...
11 years ago
the correct complimentary sequence would be UAU GGC.

in DNA A (adenine) pairs with T (thymine) and vice cersa, G (guanine) pairs with C (cytosine) and vice versa. in RNA there is no T, that gets replaced by U (uracil). so in RNA whenever there is supposed to be a T, you use a U. if you're going from RNA back to DNA for example UUA CGC, the compimentary sequence in DNA would be AAT GCG. hope that helps
wrote...
11 years ago
To start with you need create an RNA sequence, you then create the mRNA sequence from the RNA, from there you remove the introns and then you add the 5' cap and 3' tail.

If that made no sense to you then you REALLY need to read your text and talk to your prof.

The above 2 answers are only giving you the RNA sequence, the answer is incomplete and will be marked wrong.
wrote...
11 years ago
Hi,

I'm 4th year biology with a decent grade standing and "Kristy's" answer, although familiar didn't make much sense to me either!  DNA is double helix, but its easier to think of it as as zipper. There are two sides to it. The base pairing rule is how it zips together.  A will only bind with T (in DNA, U in RNA) and G will only bind with C. When the DNA unwinds to make mRNA, nucleotides with fill in the gap. ATA CCG is one side of the zipper, so using the "zipper" idea and the base pairing rule, we could come up with. UAU GGC. This mRNA sequence would then leave the nucleus and would be fed through a ribosome. The ribosome processes the mRNA in chunks of 3 base pairs to make an amino acid. The UAU would give us ATA, and the CCG would give us a GGC. This process will eventually give us a protein. Hope this helps!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  974 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274