t
S
m
s
RowanF RowanF
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, RowanF
If a carbon has, say, one double bond and two single bonds, the molecule it is in is supposed to geometrically resemble an equilateral triangle, that is it will essentially be in a two dimensional configuration. But why don't two of the bonds rotate vertically by 90 degrees, in addition to the 120 degree angles they form horizontally with the third bond? Wouldn't this be the configuration that would keep them all furthest away from eachother? Thanks for any answers.
Read 413 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago
Hi Rowan, I went ahead and drew something ... but I can't seem to understand what you're trying to say.

Could you elaborate on your thinking, and possibly give as a real-life example
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
RowanF Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Actually, as I was typing this response I answered my own question. What I was trying to say would have still been an equilateral triangle. Thanks for the answer though.

Thanks! Yeah, so if we could depart from reality a little bit to make this easier to explain, imagine looking at the picture and taking the H on the left with your left hand and the H on the right with the right hand and then rotating them either clockwise or counterclockwise until on of the hydrogens is as far under the carbon as it can possibly get and
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1160 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741