a
t
i
r
r
riptor riptor
wrote...
8 years ago
If slaves were valuable pieces of property, why did the masters not take better care of them so they would live longer?
Textbook 
Out of Many: A History of the American People

Out of Many: A History of the American People

Edition: 5th
Authors:
Read 188 times
1 Reply
- 1st year history major
-- "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
4 months ago
The idea that enslaved people were valuable pieces of property is a common misconception. While it is true that enslaved people were often bought and sold for large sums of money, they were also subject to the same economic pressures as any other form of property. Enslaved people were often forced to work long hours in harsh conditions, which took a toll on their health and well-being. They were also subject to physical and sexual abuse, which further contributed to their poor health.

Moreover, the institution of slavery was based on the idea that enslaved people were inferior and subhuman. This belief was used to justify the brutal treatment of enslaved people and the denial of their basic rights and freedoms. In this context, it is not surprising that many slave owners did not take better care of their slaves, as they did not view them as fully human.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1102 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?