a
t
i
r
r
riptor riptor
wrote...
8 years ago
Briefly describe the New Popular Democratic Culture and how it applied to the election of 1824.
Textbook 
Out of Many: A History of the American People

Out of Many: A History of the American People

Edition: 5th
Authors:
Read 333 times
1 Reply
- 1st year history major
-- "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
4 months ago
The New Popular Democratic Culture was a political movement that emerged in the United States in the early 19th century. It was characterized by a shift towards a more democratic and participatory political system, which emphasized the importance of the common man. This movement was fueled by the expansion of suffrage rights to white men who did not own property, which led to an increase in voter participation and political engagement.

The election of 1824 was the first presidential election to be held under this new political culture. It was marked by a significant increase in voter turnout, with more than twice as many people voting as in the previous election. The election also saw the emergence of new political parties, such as the Democratic Party, which was formed in response to the growing popularity of Andrew Jackson. The election was ultimately decided by the House of Representatives, which chose John Quincy Adams as the winner, despite the fact that Andrew Jackson had won the most popular and electoral votes. This decision was widely criticized as being undemocratic and led to calls for electoral reform.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  974 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?