a
t
i
r
r
simmyk16 simmyk16
wrote...
13 years ago
if an organism needs to regulate activity of enzymes, give one example where it would make more sense to modify the enzyme in a way that you could switch it on or off. come up with another example where it would make more sense for you to modify how MUCH of that enzyme you will produce.
please give me examples and explain a bit if you could, I'm really confused about this topic.
Read 1075 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Enzymes are turned on and off by the binding of subtrates that activate them. By blocking a substrate from binding you can turn off the enzyme. As for why you would want to turn off and enzyme. Lets say for example you are producing too much ATP using glycolysis. The quickest way to stop producing more ATP is to turn off the first enzyme in that pathway which would be hexokinase.
wrote...
13 years ago
Reversible phosphorylation of enzymes is an important regulatory mechanism that occurs in both prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms. Enzymes called kinases (phosphorylation) and phosphatases (dephosphorylation) are involved in this process.

Many enzymes and receptors are switched "on" or "off" by phosphorylation and dephosphorylation. Reversible phosphorylation results in a conformational change in the structure in many enzymes and receptors, causing them to become activated or deactivated. Phosphorylation usually occurs on serine, threonine, and tyrosine amino acids in eukaryotic proteins.

In addition, phosphorylation occurs on the basic amino acid residues histidine or arginine or lysine in prokaryotic proteins. The addition of a phosphate (PO4) molecule to a polar R group of an amino acid residue can turn a hydrophobic portion of a protein into a polar and extremely hydrophilic portion of molecule. In this way it can introduce a conformational change in the structure of the protein via interaction with other hydrophobic and hydrophilic residues in the protein.
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  913 People Browsing
Related Images