t
i
r
r
lewiscl5 lewiscl5
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
covalent bond Explain Electronegativity? What is the difference between a polar covalent bond and a nonpolar?
Read 773 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
polar is like a water molecule...
The covalent bond SHARES electrons

so on a water molecule the oxygen end pulls on the electrons (it just does, because of the shape of the molecule it think.The shape of a water molecule is bent), making them slightly go towards the oxygen end.

This makes the oxygen end slightly negative, and the hydrogen end slightly positive.

The basic definition of a molar molecule is where there is an uneven distribution of electrons in a covalently bonded molecule

non polar is where the molecules in a covalent bond are pulling equally on the electrons.
wrote...
11 years ago
Electronegativity is the tendency of an atom to gain electron to itself in a molecule

A non polar covalent bond is a molecule that has a covalent bond and doesn't have the differences of electronegativity or the differences is canceled due to the arrangement of the atom inside the molecule. for example Cl-Cl is a non-polar molecule because it does not has any electronegativity differences because it consists of only one molecule. H-Cl is a polar molecule because Cl is more electronegative thus the molecule is more negative in the Cl side. (+)H-Cl(-). It is a polar molecule.

CH4 does have electronegativity differences but the arrangements cancel the effect so it is a non-polar molecule

H
            I
H--C--H
            I
           H

The ectronegativity is canceled due to the balance of arrangement left and right, up and down.

But if the any molecule that has  one lone-pair, it is definitely o polar molecule. If two, look at the arrangement.

You must look at the electronegativity chart to know the electronegativity of each atom.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1185 People Browsing
 110 Signed Up Today
Related Images