I
m
m
K
b
Gidlion45 Gidlion45
wrote...
3 years ago
The nurse is caring for a premature baby who was born at 28 weeks' gestation. The baby's parents tell a visiting family member, "we will be able to bring the baby home in a few weeks." Which is the most therapeutic response by the nurse in this situation?
A) "Do you have the nursery ready yet?"
B) "Although your baby is doing quite well, he probably won't be ready to come home for a few months."
C) "I'm glad he's doing so well."
D) "A therapist could help you resolve your feelings of denial."
Textbook 

Nursing: A Concept-Based Approach to Learning, Volume I

Edition: 2nd
Author:
Read 101 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
JetJet
wrote...
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free.
 B
My reasoning: Families are often in the stage of denial with the birth of a premature newborn. It is important for nurses to gently encourage the parents to be realistic. By agreeing with the parent's statement, the nurse is prolonging the state of denial and making it more difficult for the parents to see the situation realistically. Some parents do benefit from professional counseling, but nurses still need to provide support when working with families. It is not important if the nursery is ready yet, and asking this question distracts from the real issues this family is facing at this time.

This verified answer contains over 100 words.
Fourth-year nursing student at Tuskegee University