t
i
r
r
micooo micooo
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
The processes used to synthesize many organic compounds often use compounds that contain double or triple bonds as reactants. Explain why the use of unsaturated reactants might be an advantage over using saturated reactants.
Read 407 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Before I answer, i'd just like to let you know that organic chemistry is without a doubt my best area lol Face with Stuck-out Tongue.

For a start, an unsaturated compound is one that contains AT LEAST 1 MULTIPLE CARBON-CARBON BOND.

(e.g. alkenes, C=C and alkynes, C-C triple bond)

I'll use alkenes as my primary example

Basically, a double bond has more electrons than a single bond. It is described as having a HIGH ELECTRON DENSITY, and therefore has a high NEGATIVE charge Slight Smile

The bond is actually able to POLARISE molecules that approach them, enabling them to act as ELECTROPHILES

(an electrophile is an ELECTRON PAIR DONOR)

Now, for example, if a Cl--Cl molecule approached the double bond in an alkene, it would become POLARISED, as the NEGATIVE electrons in the bond are REPELLED closer to one of the atoms
(delta)+ve           (delta)-ve
              Cl ------- Cl

One of the bonds in the C=C double bond (alkene group) is BROKEN, and bonds to the (delta)+ve carbon (hence Cl2 is BEHAVING AS AN ELECTROPHILE)

However, one Cl has too many bonds now, so it breaks it's Cl----Cl bond, leaving the other Cl as an ANION (Cl-)

so far, we have:

+CH2---CH2---Cl    + Cl-

(NOTE THAT THE -VE CHARGE MOVES TO THE CARBON!!!)

now, a DATIVE COVALENT BOND simply forms between both oppositely charged ions Slight Smile

This is a type of bond where both electrons come from one particle (in this case Cl-)

You should now have:

CH2Cl---CH2Cl Slight Smile

hope this helps

...x
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1088 People Browsing
 113 Signed Up Today
Related Images