t
i
r
r
fionagrubb fionagrubb
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I know the easy stuff like A + B Rightwards Arrow AB and that the + will go with the opposing -, etc, but like how do you figure out

1) NaCN + H2O Rightwards Arrow HCN + Na+ + OH- (how do you know that it doesn't form NaOH?)

2) N2O3 + H2O Rightwards Arrow H+ + NO3 -

I don't understand how you predict the products from the reactants.
Read 481 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
In chemistry, a lot of it is memorization and experience.

For the first one, NaOH is formed. The key thing to note is that it's formed in water. NaOH is a strong base so it completely dissociates in water, leaving you with Na+ and OH- ions. This reaction is a basic acid + base reaction (double displacement). What ends up happening is that you have to figure out whether your products are soluble or not (by memorizing your solubility rules).

The second one is again a knowledge question. Disodium Trioxide is what's called an anhydrous acid. What that means is that when you mix it with water, you get one of your common acids (nitric acid in this case). This is also acid/base chemistry and is usually expected for you to remember because it's what acid rain is.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1154 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?