a
t
i
r
r
firework6 firework6
wrote...
11 years ago
I don't understand the whole haploid-diploid thing.

Is the haploid number 6 and the diploid number 3? If that's not right, then can someone explain it? Slight Smile
Read 1559 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The haploid number is 3 and the diploid number is 6. Haploid is half the diploid number. Think HA-ploid and HA-lf. Sort of sound similar I guess...Haploid means only one type of each chromosome.

Diploid on the other hand literally means "two" (di-) "chromosome number" (-ploid). This is when a cell has two of each type of chromosomes; one set from each parent. Hope this helps!

Please visit my BioBlog @ http://www.santiagorlopez.com
wrote...
11 years ago
Diploid (indicated by 2x) cells have two homologous copies of each chromosome, usually one from the mother and one from the father. The exact number of chromosomes may be one or two different from the 2 number yet the cell may still be classified as diploid (although with aneuploidy). Nearly all mammals are diploid organisms (the viscacha rats Pipanacoctomys aureus and Tympanoctomys barrerae are the only known exceptions as of 2004), although all individuals have some small fraction of cells that display polyploidy. Human diploid cells have 46 chromosomes and human haploid gametes (egg and sperm) have 23 chromosomes.

The haploid is 3. Diploid 3x2=6
Micromowie Author
wrote...
11 years ago
All the cells in your body, except gametes (sperm and eggs) are diploid.  DIploid means they have two copies of every chromosome.  

If an organism has 6 chromosomes in its body cells, that is its diploid number.

Haploid means a cell has one copy of each chromosome, so it will have half as many as a diploid cell.

So a haploid cell from an organism with 6 chromosomes in its normal cells will have 3 chromosomes.  So its haploid number is 3.

Remember that haploid cells are only sperm and eggs in animals. Any other kind of cell is diploid and will have the larger number.
wrote...
11 years ago
No haploid is 3 and diploid is 6. Sex cells have half as many chromosomes as body cells so that when you unite during fertilization, they can produce a zygote with 6 chromosomes.
Memory trick for you, think of haploid as "half". it works for me!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  964 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431