r
d
l
a
mastershake mastershake
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I read in my textbooks that the interiors of the Jovian planets contain states of matter unlike anything we're used to seeing on Earth (like fluid metallic hydrogen).  I was wondering if any of these types of things have been created in a laboratory, or if it is still currently outside of our technology.  Thanks!
Read 1071 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Yes, those things exist in the inner parts of Jupiter and Saturn and other extra-solar planets of sufficient mass. It is hydrogen that is under extreme pressure. Because the atoms are so close together, their electrons can move freely from atom to atom as they do in all normal metals. In March of 1996, a group of scientists at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory reported that they had serendipitously produced, for about a microsecond and at temperatures of thousands of kelvin and pressures of over a million atmospheres (>100 GPa), the first identifiably metallic hydrogen.
mastershake Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Sweet action!  Thanks!  It's things like that that blow my mind!  It's just difficult to really conceptualize such materials in anything other than abstract terms, given that we've never experienced things like it in the natural course of events in our lives.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
That's true, but everything we see on earth exists for a reason. Still to this day, liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen astonish me. Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1051 People Browsing
 129 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?