t
i
r
r
Noura Noura
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
 The size of E.coli DNA is 4.6 Mb in length. The number of promoter regions in DNA of approximately 60 bp is 170. The RNA polymerase II is required for transcription of genes and sigma 70 is the constitutive sigma factor. Explain the means by which E.coli cell can encounter a promoter in the context of the genome.      
Read 90 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Explain the means by which E.coli cell can encounter a promoter in the context of the genome.

A promoter is a sequence of DNA found within the E. coli cell. For this reason, the wording of this question is a little confusing, so I'm assuming you're asking how polymerase finds the promoter region. According to this article

There are four potential diffusion–based mechanisms that might contribute to the promoter search: (i) one–dimensional (1D) “hopping”, where the protein moves along the same molecule of DNA via a correlated series of submicroscopic dissociation and rebinding events before re–equilibrating back into free solution; (ii) 1D–sliding, where the protein executes a random walk along the DNA without dissociation; (iii) intersegmental transfer, where the protein moves from one site to another via a looped intermediate and (iv) three–dimensional diffusion (or “jumping”), where the protein starts out fully equilibrated with free solution (i.e. it has no memory of whether it has previously visited a DNA site) and then finds its targets through direct 3D–collisions from solution (Supplementary Fig. 1).

Please let me know if you understood anything from this answer, and if you need further assistance.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  888 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586