r
d
l
a
Yoshi101447 Yoshi101447
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
I have a research biology project to do, one part that I'm doing is essentially comparing the sequences of different organisms and based on the sequences am describing whether that gene has a housekeeping promoter or a tissue specific promoter.

I am getting the sequences from gen bank. So, I have run into a bit of an inconsistency, I was under the impression that genes with housekeeping promoters are high in their C-G pairs and tissue specific promoters are not, for example, searching for the BPM7, bone morphogenetic gene, for 9 different organisms, and using a calculator to identify the number of c-g pairs, the human version of the gene is the only one with a lower amount,and all of the other organisms have a high count of c-g pairs within the sequence, which is throwing me off since that is supposed to be a tissue specific gene, and this fact is appearing only in the human version.

But a gene like USP19, ubiquitin specific peptidase 19, a gene that is essential towards the regulation of proteins, (to be said in a general sense), is obviously one that is essential towards the proper functioning of the cell and existence of the organism as a whole and so it is not surprising to find a high c-g count within that sequence for all organisms I have searched, including humans, and it can be said that it does contain a housekeeping promoter.

So what I'm wondering, isn't BPM7 supposed to be a tissue specific gene? Then why does it have a high c-g count as well, and in every organism I've searched all except for humans? Is it possible that for humans that gene is responsible solely for regulating bone growth and so it does contain a tissue specific promoter but in those other animals it is responsible for more that one duty, and so is not specific for a tissue and doesn't contain a housekeeping or a tissue specific promoter?

Or, does simply having a high c-g count not directly correlate towards having a housekeeping promoter within the gene?

I am counting from the first till the 1080th pair in every sequence, here are all the organisms I am focusing on: human, gorilla, orangutan, chimpanzee, cat, chicken, gekko, mouse and mink whale

Please someone who is knowledgeable provide some insight or put me in the right direction of what to read and know about, because I'm self directing myself completely and I do not have too much of an extensive background in this, and so am aspiring to get some information so that I can be accurate with my project from someone who does.

I would immensely also appreciate some answers to my questions

Thanks a lot!
Read 792 times