t
i
r
r
ILoveBIO30 ILoveBIO30
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, ILoveBIO30
1. A curved “hitchhiker’s thumb” is recessive to a straight thumb. The following pedigree traces the presence of hitchhiker’s thumb in a family. Identify the genotypes of all the people shown in the following pedigree chart. Enter genotypes as SS, Ss, ss and uncertain genotypes as S_. 3 marks

I-1 is _______    I-2 is ________

II-1 is _______  II-2 is ________   II-3 is _______  II-4 is ______

III-1 is _____   III-2 is _______   III-3 is _______ 

IV-1 is _____  IV-2 is _______   IV-3 is _______  IV-4 is ______

2. This pedigree traces tongue rolling in a family. Filled in circles and squares represent the ability to roll the tongue. The ability to roll your tongue is controlled by a dominant allele; people with the recessive allele cannot roll their tongue. Identify the phenotypes and genotypes of all the people shown in this pedigree. Enter phenotypes as roll or not. Enter gentoypes as RR, Rr or rr. 6 marks

I-1 phenotype___ and genotype is ____  I-2 phenotype ___ and genotype is ___

II-1 phenotype___ and genotype is ___ II-2 phenotype ___ and genotype is ___ II-3 phenotype___ and genotype is ___ II-4 phenotype ___ and genotype is ___

III-1 to III-5 find phenotype and genotype

Post Merge: 7 years ago

Picture on the right is for question 1 and picture on left is for question 2
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 2765 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
1. A curved “hitchhiker’s thumb” is recessive to a straight thumb. The following pedigree traces the presence of hitchhiker’s thumb in a family. Identify the genotypes of all the people shown in the following pedigree chart. Enter genotypes as SS, Ss, ss and uncertain genotypes as S_. 3 marks

To answer questions like this, start with what you know straight away. Affected individuals have two recessive alleles (hh) and unaffected have at least one dominant (H)
After filling in that, then start at the affected individuals and work distally. Any parents from an affected child must both have a recessive allele, and if they are unaffected, they must be Hh.
and children from an affected must have at least one recessive allele as the affected parent only has recessive alleles to give. Looking through, you will also figure out what is impossible to know (denoted by a -)(affected phenotype denoted as a, normal phenotype n)
Genotypes (phenotypes)
I 1) hh (a) 2) H- (n)
II 1) Hh (n) 2) Hh (n) 3) Hh (n) 4) H- (n)
III 1)Hh (n) 2) Hh (n) 3) H- (n)
IV 1)hh (a) 2) H- (n) 3) hh (a) (n) 4) H- (n)

Hope this helps
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
2. This pedigree traces tongue rolling in a family. Filled in circles and squares represent the ability to roll the tongue. The ability to roll your tongue is controlled by a dominant allele; people with the recessive allele cannot roll their tongue. Identify the phenotypes and genotypes of all the people shown in this pedigree. Enter phenotypes as roll or not. Enter gentoypes as RR, Rr or rr. 6 marks

I-1 phenotype___ and genotype is ____  I-2 phenotype ___ and genotype is ___

II-1 phenotype___ and genotype is ___ II-2 phenotype ___ and genotype is ___ II-3 phenotype___ and genotype is ___ II-4 phenotype ___ and genotype is ___

III-1 to III-5 find phenotype and genotype

This pedigree traces tongue rolling in a family. Filled in circles and squares r
ILoveBIO30 Author
wrote...
7 years ago

To answer questions like this, start with what you know straight away. Affected individuals have two recessive alleles (hh) and unaffected have at least one dominant (H)
After filling in that, then start at the affected individuals and work distally. Any parents from an affected child must both have a recessive allele, and if they are unaffected, they must be Hh.
and children from an affected must have at least one recessive allele as the affected parent only has recessive alleles to give. Looking through, you will also figure out what is impossible to know (denoted by a -)(affected phenotype denoted as a, normal phenotype n)
Genotypes (phenotypes)
I 1) hh (a) 2) H- (n)
II 1) Hh (n) 2) Hh (n) 3) Hh (n) 4) H- (n)
III 1)Hh (n) 2) Hh (n) 3) H- (n)
IV 1)hh (a) 2) H- (n) 3) hh (a) (n) 4) H- (n)

Hope this helps

Do I have to write (n) in my answers?
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
No
wrote...
3 years ago
Thank you, this really helped me understand this question. Highly recommend!
wrote...
10 months ago
Thanks
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  998 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586