wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment
I was watching house M.D. and somewhere I saw this

it is shocking, I mean , doctors must have to follow some ethics or laws
Read 809 times
1 Reply
I don't feel like riding until everything blurs.

Ask Me Maths Questions

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I actually learned about this in bioethics class, its called the Tuskegee syphilis study. In the experiment, close to 400 African American men infected with syphilis went untreated for four decades in a project the government called the Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male, and this continued until 1972.

We should, for the most part, act so that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in that of another, always as an end and never as a means only. Because we all have goals and projects, we should never use people along the way in order to attain them. People are not objects to be used and disposed of. They have intrinsic value, dignity, and worth. They are rational beings and we must respect this rationality. This aspect of deontology is particularly appropriate in considering the treatment of humans in the clinical testing of medical treatments i.e., are these people not being treated as a means to an end? Even though that end may result in the positive treatment of thousands of people in the future? As well, what about the contribution or even selling of organs (especially in third world countries) in order to create a better life for oneself and family? Are we not simply treating people as a means to an end by creating a demand for a particular commodity?

Luckily, the concept of informed consent has increased in importance since the historical events of the Doctors' Trial of the Nuremberg trials and Tuskegee Syphilis Study!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1063 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?