j
s
d
J
nursingneeded nursingneeded
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need some detail about this mechnism, thanks a lot!
Hi, John D. I can google by myself, I need mechanism, not experiments paper. What you posted is not I need.
Read 432 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Although insulin-induced hypoglycemia is a potent stimulus for growth hormone (GH) secretion in humans, hypoglycemia was reported to suppress GH in sheep. We investigated whether GH suppression in sheep during insulin hypoglycemia resulted from the dose of insulin administered or the fed state of the animal. Saline or insulin (0.05, 0.2, 1.0, or 5.0 U/kg) intravenous boluses were administered to eight fasted ewes in a crossover experiment. In another experiment, four sheep were fed 2 h before intravenous administrations of either 0.2 or 5 U/kg of insulin. All doses of insulin resulted in comparable hypoglycemia, although the duration of hypoglycemia increased directly with insulin dose. Hypoglycemia in fasted animals stimulated GH secretion. The GH rise above baseline was inversely related to the insulin dose, and the insulin doses of 1 and 5 U/kg resulted in late suppression of GH below baseline concentrations. Insulin administration to fed animals caused an identical degree of hypoglycemia but no increase in GH. Insulin-hypoglycemia stimulates GH secretion in sheep in a manner similar to humans, and the response is dependent on both fed state and insulin dose.
wrote...
11 years ago
I think your question needs some rephrasing.... Hypoglycemia and Growth hormone secretion can be both manifestations of a common mediator.

The mediator linking Hypoglycemia and Growth hormone secretion is Insulin-like-growth factor or IGF, particularly IGF-1 and IGF-2.

IGF-1 plays an important role in childhood growth and continues to have anabolic effects in adults. IGF-1 is a primary mediator of the effects of growth hormone. A synthetic analog of IGF-1, mecasermin is used for the treatment of growth failure

They are both structurally related to Insulin, and can bind to insulin receptors at a lower affinity than insulin itself. This would cause the hypoglycemia. As an evidence to this, are many paraneoplastic syndromes related to tumors involving IGF-II secretion. They are known for their hypoglycemic symptoms.

Normally Hypoglycemia wouldn't stimulate Growth Hormone Secretion, if that were the case, then we would all grow just by skipping meals.

Best Regards
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1537 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 436