a
t
i
r
r
fifa_2010 fifa_2010
wrote...
13 years ago
According to this article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100315161720.htm, it was determined that something in female sex chromosomes appears to trigger a rise in blood pressure after the onset of menopause. This finding challenges the current belief that sex hormones are largely responsible for regulating blood pressure. An experiment was done with mice giving female mice the XY chromosomes and the male mice XX chromosomes. In this study, mice in which the Sry gene was deleted from the Y chromosome resulted in XY females. These mice were females because they were born with ovaries.

I think that finding what else is responsible in regulating blood pressure is a benefit for sure yet, changing the sex of mice, is something that I was ethically challenged about.

Comments? Opinions?  Undecided
Read 1517 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
Mice are used all the time for different procedures and research and this just seems to be another use for them. They are a well characterized model that is necessary to manipulate if we want to learn more about ourselves. It is sad that these experiments need to be done on mice, but personally I think it would hinder scientific progression if we did not.
ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
I agree that mice are always used as human models for scientific experiments. although I am not worried about injecting female chromosomes in mice, i am concerned that if this study progresses, would there be similar remedies for humans to help control blood pressure in males and/or females as a medicinal use?
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
I also think that mice need to be used in these scientific experiments in order to learn more about humans and of course it is sad to see but I think most of us would prefer it to be done on mice than humans.

It is a very interesting article with interesting finds regardless!  Grinning Face
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1226 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352