t
S
m
s
microB microB
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I need to know if i can substitute sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium carbonate to make skeleton leaves for a gift.
Read 691 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
carbonate is (CO3)2?
this means that there are two three oxygens attached to each carbon with and excess of two electrons
bicarbonate is (HCO3)1-
there is only one hydrogen and two oxygen atoms attached to each carbon atom and there is one abundant electron giving the charge of 1-
wrote...
11 years ago
Sodium bicarbonate has two carbon atoms
wrote...
11 years ago
sodium carbonate has one sodium and one carbon, where sodium bicarbonate has one sodium and two carbons.

they are two completely different things and could ultimately ruin your gift. Sodium alone can burn your hands. Be careful.
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, bio_man
First off, I don't know anything about the process of making skeleton leaves so I had to do a little research. What I found is that substituting baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) for sodium carbonate (soda ash, washing soda) will not produce the same result in this process. Here's what I found on one website..."Washing soda, sodium carbonate, is an alkaline with a pH of 11, and while it doesn't give off harmful fumes, you do need to wear gloves. It is found in the laundry section of most supermarkets. Arm & Hammer is one brand; Shop and Save has a generic house brand. It is also known as Soda Ash. You can also buy it from swimming pool supply stores; a popular brand is pH up. This is not the same thing as baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate. Though similar, sodium carbonate is a much stronger base."

And here's a website that I found that sells sodium carbonate...

Hope this helps!!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1114 People Browsing
Related Images