t
i
r
r
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
The Explosion in the Number of U.S. Prisoners" shows the U.S. prison population has increased nearly ten fold since 1970. What are some reasons for this massive increase in the prison population and what are some alternatives to building more prisons?
Read 470 times
1 Reply
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Many analysts believe the massive increase in the prison industry is a "neo-conservative" movement to provide means for industrialists and entrepreneurs to amass greater wealth. If there is any truth to this, it would open a number of viable options to reduce the prison population. Attacking some of the reasons for criminal behavior would be a beginning. Providing opportunities for the homeless, increasing opportunities for minorities, and cleaning up inner city slums may be ways to begin. These efforts would not see immediate results. Adding more prison cells is very expensive and takes resources away from health, education, and other programs needed by all Americans. One question Americans who remember the 1970s can ask themselves is, "Do I feel nine or ten times safer today than I did then?" With nearly ten times more people locked up, they should. 
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1273 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204