r
d
l
a
Motherof2 Motherof2
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
In Flask A, you reacted 4.82 g Mg with 0.557 mol HCl. In Flask B, you reacted 3.21 g Mg with 0.207 mol HCl. Which ballon will inflate the most? Explain (using calculations) why.
can anyone help me on this Im so lost!!!
Read 818 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Based on sample question:

Suppose you ran this same reaction (using the balloon setup as seen in the video) on your own with two different flasks. In Flask A, you reacted 1.65 g Mg with 0.136 mol HCl. In Flask B, you reacted 2.21 g Mg with 0.098 mol HCl. Which ballon will inflate the most? Explain (in detail) why.

Answer 1:

The ratio is 2:1 HCl over Mg. So I converted the Mg from grams to moles and got Flask A .067 mole Mg and .136 mole HCl. Which is a 2:1 ratio. Flask B got .090 and .098 about a 1:1 ratio. Flask A would produce .067 mole of Hydrogen gas. Flask B would only being able to produce .049.

Answer 2:

Flask A will produce more Hydrogen, since in flask B the HCl is the limiting reagent (stoichiometrically).
Motherof2 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
thank you so much!!! Could you show me the actual steps you took to work that problem out. How did you covert grams to moles and get that answer?  I am trying hard to understand this stuff and am just not getting it.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
thank you so much!!! Could you show me the actual steps you took to work that problem out. How did you covert grams to moles and get that answer?  I am trying hard to understand this stuff and am just not getting it.

Hi there, the post I made was based on a sample question. I'm not sure how it was answered, but I figured it was answered correctly. Keep in mind that the numbers are different.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1057 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?