t
i
r
r
BioWolf BioWolf
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, BioWolf
1. What would happen if it were more advantageous to be heterozygous (Ff)? Would there still be homozygous animals? Explain.

2. Explain what would happen if selective pressure changed and the recessive gene was now advantageous.

3. What happens to the recessive genes over successive generations and why?

Undecided Undecided Undecided
Read 309 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
2. Explain what would happen if selective pressure changed and the recessive gene was now advantageous.

Recessive genes often carry traits that are not advantageous to the population, such as genetic mutations. This is because people can have only one copy of a recessive disease gene and suffer no ill effects. If recessive genes were selected for then all sorts of genetic mutations would begin to pop up in the population.
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
That's not necessarily true. Many wild-type traits are recessive.
wrote...
7 years ago
My bad Crying Face I was in the process of answering #3 when I noticed your reply

3. What happens to the recessive genes over successive generations and why?

Recessive gene remain available due to its availability in heterogeneous form. The natural selection is against the dominant gene thus allowing the recessive gene to continually reproduce.

If natural selection occurs targeting the recessive form, it can cause eliminate of the allele (recessive) in only a single generation.
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
1. What would happen if it were more advantageous to be heterozygous (Ff)? Would there still be homozygous animals? Explain.

Yes, there would still be homozygous dominant and recessive animals. A heterozygous animal possesses both the recessive allele and dominant allele. If F is a Mendelian trait, crossing two heterozygous animals of the same species will produce one quarter offspring that are homozygous recessive OR homozygous dominant.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1056 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4