r
d
l
a
Ari88 Ari88
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
2 years ago
If I have isolated a gene from human DNA that codes for an important enzyme and I have cloned the gene, how would I use Southern Hybridization to determine if a sample of chimpanzee DNA also contains the gene?
Read 90 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
First, the DNA from the chimpanzee needs to be isolated, and cut into pieces using restriction enzymes. The DNA fragments are then loaded onto an agarose gel, and the fragments separate by electrophoresis according to size, with the smaller ones migrating faster than the larger ones. The agarose gel is then treated with ethidium bromide for better visibility. The DNA is then transferred to a fragile nylon filter, and is then treated with a radioactive probe consisting of nucleic acids. The probe binds to complementary DNA segments. If the chimpanzee DNA binds to this probe, then it suggests the chimp also contains this gene. To detect the position of the radioactive probe, the nylon membrane is covered with an X-ray film. After development, the positions of the probe become visible.
Ari88 Author
wrote...
2 years ago
Thank you so much, I appreciate it! This stuff is incredibly fascinating but also a bit confusing without a bit of extra guidance!
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
My pleasure, Torie  And thanks for the coffee!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1067 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4