t
i
r
r
Jessc Jessc
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
7 years ago
1. As an example of how TLC can be used to monitor the progress of a separation by column chromatography consider the following hypothetical situation. A chemist found that a mixture of 4 components (A-D) could be separated on a silica gel TLC plate using 10% diethyl ether in hexanes as the eluting solvent. The mixture was then chromatographed on a silica gel; column eluted with this same solvent mixture and 11 fractions of 15 mL each were collected. Thin-layer chromatographic analysis of the various fractions under the conditions stated above gave the results shown in the following figure. Assume the components align as A-D, with A at the top and D at the bottom of the TLC plate original mixture.

a. according to these results, which fractions should be combined to give pure samples of A, B, C, and D?

b. What fraction number still contain more than one compound? Indicate for these “mixed” fraction numbers what components of the original mixture are present?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 401 times
5 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
7 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
fiero86,  hello-kitty,  biolife1234