d
l
a
s
Dat Ass Dat Ass
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I haven't been able to get a consistent answer on this.

My teacher says that the friction force between the ground and the wheels would have to be acting AGAINST the motion of the car, as friction always acts opposite the direction of motion.

I say that the friction force has to be acting WITH the motion of the car, because the friction force is the only force within the system capable of causing forward acceleration (aside from gravity and outside influences such as a person pushing from behind, ect.)

Who is right here?
Read 376 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
"because the friction force is the only force within the system capable of causing forward acceleration"
Who's talking about forward acceleration here? There's only forward momentum here.

It has to be acting against the motion of the car.
wrote...
11 years ago
For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so the friction force would be opposite the direction of the car moving
Answer accepted by topic starter
Nursey86Nursey86
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 350 words.