d
l
a
s
Smoren Smoren
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
a) the force applied to the car by the motor.
b) the force applied to the road by the wheels.
c) the force applied to the wheels by the driver.
d) the force applied to the wheels by the road.
Read 349 times
5 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
smokeyjousmokeyjou
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
answer is
b) the force applied to the road by the wheels
because wheels push ground back and ground pushes wheel forward
(3rd law of motion)

but engine causes wheels to move
wrote...
11 years ago
Sorry nazar but you're wrong.  Answer A is just part of the process that makes the car accelerate. The motor applies a force on the wheels which makes then turn, and thus apply a force on the ground. As stated by Newton's 3rd law, the ground would apply a force back on the wheels and accelerate the wheels foreward. The wheels are attached to the rest of the car so it would go foreward as a system. So, the answer is D.

Akash, just read your answer, be careful. It's true the the wheel must apply a force on the ground in order to accelerate the car but the force that ACTUALLY pushes the car foreward is the force the ground exerts on the wheels. Your thinking is correct but the answer is D.

The guy below me, I just read your answer and it's just another way to look at it. You are correct.
wrote...
11 years ago
The engine provides power to turn the drive wheels. The drive wheels attempt to spin, but don't because of the frition of the road. If the friction between the tires and road isn't great enough, the tires would just spin, like in icy conditions.

Because the road DOES have enough friction to resist the tires from spinning, the tires roll forward. Therefore, the correct answer is D.
wrote...
11 years ago
Hello
I am in physics AP and have answered this question

I am going to make it nice and short so its easy for you to understand

The answer is D.
Newton's 3rd Law: For every action theres an equal and oppo. reaction
There is friction on the road...so when the wheels ride on the road, the friction which holds it back will propel if forward due to Newtons 3rd law.

I am 100% sure of my answer
A and C are those trick answers.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  805 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?