r
d
l
a
sVerrine sVerrine
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
The lecturer gave us a little exercise to better understand elimination half-life but I am still very confused about what I should do.

So I have administrated 600mg of drug X which comes in 2 formulations, A and B. Formulation A is represented by the solid line and Formation B by the dash line in the attachment below.
I have to determine the elimination half-life and clearance for drug X by looking at the graph. The lecturer told me that they are the same for both formulations, but how can that be possible if the graphs look different?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 218 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Possible they were administered differently, muscle injection versus pill form, for example.

The biological half-life  of a substance is the time it takes for a substance to lose half of its pharmacologic activity. I'm going to assume it's the half way point between the peak and it's lowest amount.
sVerrine Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Possible they were administered differently, muscle injection versus pill form, for example.

The biological half-life  of a substance is the time it takes for a substance to lose half of its pharmacologic activity. I'm going to assume it's the half way point between the peak and it's lowest amount.

Thank you for answering.
They are both administrated orally.
If I were to say that it's the half way point between peak and it's lowest amount then for each graph I would get a different half-life. And the lecturer told us it is the same. This is why I am confused.
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
The only other explanation is that formulation A contains the active ingredient, while formulation B contains an inactive form (this of a proenzyme as an example). Really hard to tell otherwise
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1115 People Browsing
 119 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352