s
r
d
l
a
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
7 years ago
On Earth, there is gravity, pulling blood downward, but in Space, there is no gravity, in theory, brain should receive more blood flow in space, would it be correct?

I would like to know on how we feel when more blood is flowing into the brain.
  • Stressful with higher blood pressure?
  • Clear mind with more food from blood?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 352 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Didn't realize this question was asked! My bad

Here's my take:

If blood flow increases to the brain, you'll get a headache. This happens when you eat something really cold, you get brain freeze.

Whether you're on earth or space, you blood is being pumped by the heart.

Every time we stand up, gravity pulls blood into parts of the body that are below the heart. A simple experiment you can do to prove this is to let your hand hang down for a short time then examine the veins in the back of your hand. These veins will get bigger because they are full of blood. But raise your arm above your head, and these veins, emptied of blood, disappear.

In space, there's a much different result. There's no gravity to pull blood into the lower part of the body. Instead, blood goes to the chest and head, causing astronauts to have puffy faces and bulging blood vessels in their necks.

And appearance isn't the only ugly side effect. The lack of blood flowing to and from the brain can cause astronauts to feel dizzy and sometimes even faint when they return to Earth's gravity.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, oem7110
Thank you very much for suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
YW
oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Hypertension is bad for your brain, and I would like to know more on how astronauts prevents cognitive impairment caused by hypertension within the brain, whenever they travel between earth and space.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I'd assume astronauts experience the opposite, hypotension. Is that what you meant?

Do you have a source that suggests otherwise?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, oem7110
I find some articles as shown below, when astronauts go from Earth to Space, they experience Hypertension. I would like to know on how astronauts handle this change within a short period of time and protect their brains, which would directly effect their performance.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>

Dementia. Dementia is a brain disease resulting in problems with thinking, speaking, reasoning, memory, vision and movement. There are a number of causes of dementia. One cause, vascular dementia, can result from narrowing and blockage of the arteries that supply blood to the brain. It can also result from strokes caused by an interruption of blood flow to the brain. In either case, high blood pressure may be the culprit.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20045868

Hypertension is a circulatory disease. Many patients with high blood pressure develop coronary artery disease or heart failure, and many die as a result. But all parts of the body depend on the circulation, and many organs suffer from the impact of untreated hypertension. One of the organs at greatest risk is the brain.

High pressure, high risk

High blood pressure is the leading cause of strokes, both symptomatic and silent. Both systolic and diastolic hypertension contribute to risk; the higher your pressure, the higher your risk. According to one Harvard study, hypertension increases a man's risk of stroke by 220%; according to another, each 10 mm Hg rise in systolic pressure boosts the risk of ischemic stroke by 28% and of hemorrhagic stroke by 38%.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/blood-pressure-and-your-brain

wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I find some articles as shown below, when astronauts go from Earth to Space, they experience Hypertension. I would like to know on how astronauts handle this change within a short period of time and protect their brains, which would directly effect their performance.

That makes more sense. I can see how their descent would lead to complications. I found an article online that analyzing the effects of microgravity on the brain of astronauts. Here's what was mentioned:

Among astronauts with more than 30 days of cumulative lifetime exposure to microgravity, findings included expansion of the cerebral spinal fluid space surrounding the optic nerve in nine of the 27 (33 percent) astronauts, flattening of the rear of the eyeball in six (22 percent), bulging of the optic nerve in four (15 percent) and changes in the pituitary gland and its connection to the brain in three (11 percent) of the astronauts. The pituitary gland secretes and stores hormones that regulate a variety of important body functions.

The same types of abnormalities are observed in cases of intracranial hypertension where no cause can be found for increased pressure around the brain. The pressure causes swelling of the juncture between the optic nerve and the eyeball which can result in visual impairment.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120313/MRI-reveals-microgravity-induced-intracranial-hypertension-in-astronauts.aspx
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1080 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352