r
d
l
a
purrsian purrsian
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
7 years ago
My question involves someone who has become dehydrated after drinking four cans of artificially sweetened caffeinated energy drinks. She has a very high blood sodium level, low blood glucose level, low blood pressure and high heart rate. I don't need to explain every abnormal result, just the mechanism that caused dehydration.

I've found that caffeine is a diuretic which increases renal blood flow and inhibits Na+ and Cl- reabsorption in the nephron. At first, I thought this is what lead to her dehydration, as the increased Na+ loss would increase water loss. However, I'm not sure why her sodium level is so high (310, instead of the normal range of 135-145) if caffeine is inhibiting Na+ reabsorption. I'm really not sure where to go from here but I do have a decent understanding of the content I'm studying, so a little nudge in the right direction should be all I need (hopefully!). Thanks for any assistance!
Read 225 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
Not sure what attributed to the high blood sodium. Is that an assumption you've made? As far as I know, caffeine does not influence sodium levels.

Apparently there is a correlation, according to this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1330597/ Face Screaming in Fear
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
That's true, moderate coffee is not likely to significant impact your sodium levels. Since it is a diuretic, it'll increase urine production, which means the loss of water. Electrolytes may not be excreted as much
purrsian Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Thank you for the replies guys. Unfortunately I didn't make an assumption on the blood sodium - it was provided in the lab results that we're supposed to analyse. Makes me wonder if there's something else about the energy drinks I'm supposed to talk about, but caffeine was the most obvious and does cause dehydration.

I've contacted my lecturer about it, just waiting on a reply. I'm fairly confident with my answers for the rest of the questions on the assignment, but this one just didn't seem to add up as nicely! At worst, I'll just talk about caffeine being a diuretic, leading to urinary water loss, so at least I'll have something to write Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Good idea. Let us know what he says
purrsian Author
wrote...
7 years ago
She said I need to mention how caffeine acts as a diuretic and generally explain how a diuretic works with respect to reducing sodium reabsorption and water reabsorption. So...no idea why the high blood sodium level, but it sounds like I can ignore it. Way to make it confusing for no reason! Thought I must've been missing something pretty major. But thank you guys for your advice! Pretty sure I'll be right to answer it now and once I'm done, assignment done  Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I knew we were fishing when @habiba provided that link.

Thanks for the update. Will mark the topic solved!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1153 People Browsing
 105 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion