S
m
s
Orianna117 Orianna117
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Hey guys,
Can someone plz tell me the difference between chromosomes, chromatids, and chromatins.
I know chromatins is the stuff wrapping around histones, and that the X is a chromosome while half the X is a chromatid. But I feel like there is more than meets the eye.
Like, we say chromosome exists in the cell at all stages of the cell cycle, but it only replicates past a certain point so it must have been a chromatid, not a chromosome before that stage?

Halp plz
Thanks
Read 170 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
7 years ago
See attached for solution. Also, see the link below for visualizing of the differences.

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=27198

Slight Smile
 Attached file 
(17.74 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, bio_man
Such an incredible response above Upwards Arrow Here's my take anyway...

In DNA's relaxed state, before the start of mitosis, it is referred to as chromatin - think of spaghetti and meat balls.

DNA at mitosis is referred to as a chromosome - condensed DNA. Since at this stage DNA has been copied, a chromosome appears like an ><, but why? That's because when it was copied back in the S-phase of interphase, the newly copied chromatin was connected at the waste with the original. The waist region is called centromere. Each copy of the chromatin is referred to as a chromatid, hence the term chromatid sisters. These sisters, connected at the waste condense into the chromosome we see in the prophase of mitosis.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  945 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 284