r
d
l
a
nursing111 nursing111
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have seen this on tv many times but I don't know if that's what actually happens.  I noticed that the surgeons will look at the tv instead of at their patient when they're working.
Thanks for the answers!  For some reason, I had assumed that the incisions were large enough to see through.

To serendipity, I should hope that my surgeons aren't idly watching tv while I'm cut open, under anesthesia.
Read 535 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
it is much less invasive than cutting large enough to see by eye,requires less healing time
wrote...
11 years ago
They have a little camera in the area.  That way the incision is way smaller and healing is faster.
wrote...
11 years ago
to see how their patients are doing in the state their in. Those machines/tv things usually tell the heartbeat of the patient and things to know about the patient.
wrote...
11 years ago
It's easier to see what they're doing when it's on a screen.  It would be very hard to see clearly into somebody's body.
wrote...
11 years ago
because the human eye is not very good at seeing things and the tv has it zoomed way in , and i think they do it for more accurate incisions and more close up look
wrote...
11 years ago
Here we go again - building up surgeons to be like demi-gods!

They ARE human too you know and have their addictions to the soaps (usually pre-op) and dramas (usually mid-op) and searching investigative documentaries (usually post-op) same as the rest of us - Jeeez.
wrote...
11 years ago
When they perform surgery laparascopically the surgeon does not actually cut the patient open. The make really small incisions and insert tools through those incions, including a scope, or camera, then they can see what they are doing inside via this scope on the television screen. It is very common to remove the gallbladder this way, to do scopes of the upper and lower gastrointestinal system, and other surgeries this way. Not all surgeries are performed with a T.V. Patients having laparoscopic surgery can often go home the same day and have a faster recovery than when they had to be fully opened up!

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/laparoscopy-16156
wrote...
11 years ago
It does actually happen. The surgeon is using an endoscope, basically a telescope to look inside the body, almost always with a camera attached to the outside end which feeds an image to a TV screen. In theory the surgeon could manage by looking straight down the tube with an eyepiece, but that would mean contorting himself in all directions as he worked round the inside. Indeed, they used to do that, and very funny it was to watch. It really is much better for him to stand or sit still looking at the screen while his hands guide the instruments. The other benefit of the TV screen is that everybody in the operating theatre can also see what is going on.

Not all surgery can be performed through an endoscope, but when it is possible it leaves the patient with much smaller scars and hurts a lot less.
wrote...
11 years ago
that is because they need an larger image of what they are doing or a clear image and if some surgeons do not have the same general view they can get he look of what view they are missing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  886 People Browsing
 188 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?