i
r
r
Meyburgh Meyburgh
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Small project with my son.
I am trying to use kelp as a fertiliser or ideally hydroponics food. I have collected some and have left it in fresh water (5l bottles) to decompose but it has been 3 weeks with not much change.
Is there any organic method of assisting the decay process?
Thank you very much.
Read 143 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
Chop them up a little, or shred them

Turn the pile, moving inside material out and outside material in. Turning the pile frequently allows more oxygen to the microorganisms that are creating your compost, which in turn accelerates decomposition. Aerating it every couple of days will create compost faster than aerating it weekly.

Cover the pile with a plastic tarp. This keeps moisture in during dry weather and excessive water out during rainy weather.

If you want your compost pile to speed up even faster, commercial accelerants, which contain concentrated amounts of microorganisms already in your compost pile, are available in both organic and non-organic formulas. Or you can try home solutions, such as fresh grass cuttings, coffee grounds, aged livestock manure, beer, or rabbit food pellets. These are nitrogen-rich and will jump-start a lagging compost pile.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  961 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?