r
d
l
a
dumakey1212 dumakey1212
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
For this image, are the middle two answers correct? I think that when a triglyceride is broken down into monoglyceride and fatty acid to diffuse through the membrane that they are hydrophilic, but I'm not sure. I also think triglycerides are hydrophobic. Thank you very much for help!

Image: http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6880/24502019.jpg
Read 4249 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, they are correct in context of the description given.
dumakey1212 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Does this mean that normally monoglycerides and fatty acids are considered hydrophobic but are only considered hydrophilic in this instance because they are being diffused across the epithelial membrane, which can only happen if they are hydrophilic?
wrote...
11 years ago
Correct! They are both lipids → insoluble: hydrophobic

In order to be transported & absorbed by the water layer of epithelial cells, they must form a water soluble micelle → epithelial cells uptake fatty acids.

(They pass through the watery environment via simple diffusion due to their small relative size.)

Once they're inside the epithelial cells they reunite to form trigylcerides → packaged into chylomicrons → exocytosis → enters tissue fluid
dumakey1212 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Oh wow, thank you very much! Once the hydrophilic monoglycerides and fatty acids go into the epithelial cells and reunite to form triglycerides, are the triglycerides hydrophobic? I would think so just considering the nature of a triglyceride. Also, I'm assuming that the chylomicrons are hydrophilic.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  872 People Browsing
 184 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion