r
d
l
a
toogoodtobetrue toogoodtobetrue
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
7 years ago
Harry, the swimmer with the fastest time on the Springfield College swim team, routinely hyperventilates before a meet, as he says, "to sock some more oxygen into my lungs so I can swim longer without having to breathe."  First of all, what basic fact about oxygen loading has Harry forgotten (a lapse leading to false thinking)?  Second, how is Harry jeopardizing not only his time but his life?

Please help me out!  Thanks. Smiling Face with Glasses
Read 167 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Harry has forgotten that It's the CO2 level, and not the O2 level, that causes a person to have the urge to breathe. In other words, once the CO2 level in the blood is high enough, the brain will trigger a breathing response, causing the person to try to gasp for air. Harry is jeopardizing his time and life because Hyperventilation itself reduces the carbon dioxide concentration of the blood to below its normal level, raising the bloods ph value, initiating constriction of the blood vessels which supply the brain, and preventing the transport of certain electrolytes necessary for the function of the nervous system.
wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
How about this answer
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
wrote...
7 years ago
thanks bioman!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1106 People Browsing
 121 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586