t
i
r
r
Chabersham Chabersham
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Describe the ph scale. What do the numbers represent in terms of H+ and OH-.
Read 143 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
pH is the measure of acidity of a substance based on the hydrogen ion concentration. For each number increase on the pH scale, hydrogen ion concentration increases by a factor of 10. All bodily fluids aren't at the same pH but they all have a specific pH at which they must remain. Stomach juice is an acid so pH is below 7 but blood is relatively neutral( pH between 7.45 and 7.55). If blood or any other bodily fluid is not at the correct pH, the body cannot function and it could lead to death.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
A PH scale measures the acidic(H+) or basic(OH-) nature of a substance. This scale ranges from 0 to 14.

Pure water has a neutral nature and therefore has a PH of 7.

Any substance with a PH less than 7 is considered acidic (contains H+ ions). This can also be used to determine how acidic the substance is. For instance, a substance with a PH of 1 is considered more acidic than that with a PH of 6 (that is, it has more H+ ions)

Any substance with a PH greater than 7 is considered basic (contains OH- ions). This can also be used to determine how acidic the substance is. For instance, a substance with a PH of 14 is considered more basic than that with a PH of 8 (that is, it has more OH- ions)

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I'm always happy to answer your questions.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1130 People Browsing
Related Images