l
a
nevada nevada
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
I am reading "Immunological recognition of self" by BURNET

and i do not understand what the author is trying to say,

By adopting the idea of randomization of pattern we imply that during embryonic life a very large range of patterns is synthesized in such a fashion that in later life any one of the patterns can be produced in large numbers on demand. If the patterns are carried eventually in lymphoid cells, we must
presumably look for some process of differentiation or somatic mutation in the primitive cells ancestral to the lymphoid series. 

I don't really understand what "randomization of pattern" means
Read 277 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I believe what they are referring to adaptive immunity.

We each have millions of kinds of B + T cells with different antigen receptors just waiting to be activated inside of our lymph. Our immune system randomly generates these and are stored in our lymph nodes. Once an antigen binds to such b-cell, the activated b-cell produces thousands of clones for that specific antigen. Anyway, you know the rest.

nevada Author
wrote...
7 years ago
what do they mean by "pattern"?

for example

"Most geneticists and immunologists would probably prefer to look for randomization of pattern in a hypermutability of one or more genetic loci at some stage during em- bryonic life with a relative stabilization subsequently. This is in line with the general dogma that the pattern of a protein is determined in the last analysis by the pattern of a segment of chromosomal DNA".

"There are two ways at least in which the functional elimination of patterns reactive with self components could be implemented. If a cell or clone is limited to one or two patterns, then it is practical to postulate that any clone".

They keep mentioning pattern but i do not fully understand what they mean by saying "pattern"
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Pattern of the variable region of antibodies
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1046 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586